Destination briefing
Why travelers stop here
This site, the former location of Hullyeonwon (Military Training Institute), was responsible for the martial arts training of soldiers and instruction in military tactics and battle formations. Hullyeonwon was established in the first year of King Taejo of Joseon (1392) and was initially called Hullyeongwan. During the reign of King Taejong, it was moved to this location, and a large hall called Sacheong was built south of the office building for practicing martial arts such as archery and holding military service examinations. In the 12th year of King Sejo (1466), its name was changed to Hullyeonwon.
Before the current Hullyeonwon Park and parking lot were constructed, this site had a wooden building decorated with red bricks, with its interior structure built from red pine trees that were logged from Baekdusan Mountain, transported along the Amnokgang River to the Yellow Sea. The wood recovered from the demolition of this building was processed and used to create this information board, preserving the old scent. The park opened on June 30, 1997, and features landscaping facilities such as a lawn, drinking fountains, and a mist fountain, as well as convenience facilities including a management office, restrooms, and benches.
OTA-ready stop
Built into inbound routes and day-tour planning.
Local context
서울특별시 중구 을지로 227 (을지로5가)
Travel fit
Attraction · Seoul







