Destination briefing
Why travelers stop here
Gangyang Hyanggyo is an educational institution established by the state to hold ancestral rites for Confucius and other sages, and to educate and enlighten the local people. The original Hapcheon Hyanggyo was first built in the seat of Hapcheon-gun, but was moved together with the Hapcheon County Office to Yaro-myeon in the 18th year of King Gojong of Joseon (1881). Later, in 1965, Confucian scholars from Hapcheon, Yongju, Yulgok, and Daeyang-myeon built a new Gangyang Hyanggyo at its current location. The complex consists of Daeseongjeon (a shrine for holding rites), Naesammun (inner gate), and Myeongnyundang (a lecture hall for educational functions). Daeseongjeon is a building with a hipped-and-gable roof, measuring 5 kan in front and 2 kan on the sides. During the Joseon Dynasty, the state provided land, slaves, and books to teach students, but now the educational function has disappeared, leaving only the ritual function. It is the last of the 232 hyanggyo (Confucian schools) remaining in Korea to have been built. Address: 5-14, Chunghyoro 1-gil, Hapcheon-eup, Hapcheon-gun, Gyeongsangnam-do
OTA-ready stop
Built into inbound routes and day-tour planning.
Local context
경상남도 합천군 합천읍 충효로1길 5-14
Travel fit
Attraction · Gyeongsangnam-do


