Destination briefing
Why travelers stop here
In the 19th year of King Gojong of Goryeo, the capital was moved to Ganghwa to resist the Mongol invasion. The site of this relocated capital is the Goryeo Palace Site, which was used for 39 years until the capital was moved back in the 11th year of King Wonjong. Although small in scale, the Goryeo Palace Site was built similarly to the Songdo Palace, and the name of the mountain behind the palace was also called Songak, reflecting the desire to preserve the system of the capital. During the Manchu invasion of Joseon (Byeongja Horan), Ganghwa Fortress fell to the Qing army. Afterwards, the Goryeo palace site housed Joseon palace buildings (such as Jangnyeongjeon, Haenggung, Mallyeongjeon, Bongseonjeon, Oegyujanggak, Cheokcheonjeong, Sesimjae, etc.) and buildings of the magistrate's office (Yusubu). However, in 1866, during the French campaign against Korea (Byeonginyangyo), these buildings were destroyed by French forces. Currently, only the Dongheon (main office) and Yibangcheong (administrative office) of the Yusubu remain. This site was repaired and cleaned in 1977 and is now used as a venue for national education, providing historical lessons on the spirit of national independence and overcoming national crises. Address: 42 Bukmun-gil, Ganghwa-eup, Ganghwa-gun, Incheon
OTA-ready stop
Built into inbound routes and day-tour planning.
Local context
인천광역시 강화군 강화읍 북문길 42
Travel fit
Attraction · Incheon









