Destination briefing
Why travelers stop here
According to the Annals of the Joseon Dynasty, there is a record that King Taejo met Monk Josaeng at Inwangsan Temple, indicating that the temple was founded no later than 1397 under King Taejo's patronage. The founders were Great Master Muhak and Seon Master Josaeng. It is said that on the first and fifteenth days of each lunar month, a Buddhist service was held at Naewondang, and the lecture was on the Sutra of Benevolent Kings (Inwang Geumgang Banyabaramilgyeong). During the reign of King Sejong, the mountain was named Inwangsan and the temple was called Inwangsan Temple with the intention of protecting the Joseon Dynasty. However, during the reign of King Yeonsangun, because the palace was visible from the temple, Inwangsan Temple, along with Bokseam and Geumganggul, was abolished. Later, it was restored and maintained for a considerable period, but it was destroyed during the Japanese invasions of Korea (Imjin War), leaving only the temple site. Afterwards, around 1910, centered around Seonbawi (Zen Rock), layman Park Seon-mul built Seonamjeongsa, which was succeeded by monks Seoong, Tanong, Jain, and Daewon. They built Daewonam, Bogwangjeon, Gwaneumjeon, and Geungnakjeon, and devoted themselves to ascetic practice. In 1942, it was incorporated as a branch temple of Bongeunsa Temple of the Jogye Order. In 1977, five halls and land within Inwangsan Temple were donated to the temple, and in 1988, it was designated and registered as a traditional temple, Inwangsan Temple.
OTA-ready stop
Built into inbound routes and day-tour planning.
Local context
서울특별시 종로구 통일로18가길 16-1 (무악동)
Travel fit
Attraction · Seoul








