← All attractions
SeoulAttraction

Changgyeonggung Palace

서울특별시 종로구 창경궁로 185 (와룡동)

Destination briefing

Why travelers stop here

Changgyeonggung Palace was built by King Seongjong on the site of the former Suganggung Palace to serve three dowager queens. Originally, in 1418 (the year of King Sejong's accession), King Sejong had built Suganggung Palace for his father, King Taejong. Later, in 1483 (the 14th year of King Seongjong's reign), King Seongjong greatly expanded Suganggung Palace for the three dowager queens—Queen Jeonghui, the wife of King Sejo; Queen Sohye, the wife of King Deokjong; and Queen Ansun, the wife of King Yejong—and renamed it Changgyeonggung.

Changgyeonggung was part of a single palace complex called Donggwol (Eastern Palace) without a boundary with Changdeokgung, and it was mainly used as a living space for the royal family. Changgyeonggung was destroyed during the Japanese invasions of Korea in 1592 (the 25th year of King Seonjo's reign) and rebuilt in 1616 (the 8th year of King Gwanghaegun's reign). In 1830 (the 30th year of King Sunjo's reign), a great fire destroyed most of its buildings, and it was rebuilt four years later.

OTA-ready stop

Built into inbound routes and day-tour planning.

Local context

서울특별시 종로구 창경궁로 185 (와룡동)

Travel fit

Attraction · Seoul

Nearby

Attractions & restaurants

Within 3 km · Korea Tourism Organization data

Holiday Korea

Holiday Tour Travel Concierge

Holi

안녕하세요! Holiday Tour 여행 도우미 Holi야. 상품 문의, 예약 확인, 맞춤 여행까지 언제든 물어봐.