Destination briefing
Why travelers stop here
Pilun-dong Hong Geon-ik House consists of five wooden tiled buildings, one side gate in the rear garden, and one circular stone well. This house has been orally transmitted as the residence of Baeksa Yi Hang-bok (1556–1618), but it is historically considered to have been newly built by Hong Geon-ik between 1934 and 1936 after demolishing the existing house on the same site in 1934. Before the construction of this house by Hong Geon-ik, the site (total area of 467 pyeong) was occupied by Go Yeong-ju (1839–), an enlightenment thinker from an interpreter background, and Sim Jae-hong, the maternal grandson of Han Gyu-seol, who was the Prime Minister of the Korean Empire and opposed the signing of the Eulsa Treaty until the end. In 1934, Hong Geon-ik purchased the land and built the current buildings by 1936. Hong Geon-ik House is arranged on a narrow, shallow hill with appropriately tiered platforms. From front to back, the buildings are placed in order: the main gate and gate quarters, servants' quarters, men's quarters and inner gate quarters, women's quarters, and detached quarters.
(Source: National Heritage Administration)
OTA-ready stop
Built into inbound routes and day-tour planning.
Local context
서울특별시 종로구 필운대로1길 14-4 (필운동)
Travel fit
Attraction · Seoul








