Destination briefing
Why travelers stop here
This bridge began construction in 1420 due to the frequent visits of Kings Jeongjong and Taejong, but after Taejong's death, royal visits ceased and it was left unfinished. Later, due to the needs of commoners who frequently used this route, construction resumed in 1475 and was completed in 1483 during the reign of King Seongjong. It was also called 'Jebangyo (濟盤橋)' because walking on it felt like walking on flat ground. It is the largest bridge built during the early Joseon Dynasty, constructed with a total of 64 stone pillars. The pillars were designed in a rhombus shape to reduce resistance from flowing water. In the 1920s, heavy rain in Seoul caused part of the bridge to be washed away, and it was repaired in the 1970s. However, the right side of the bridge was restored by adding concrete, somewhat losing its original appearance.
Address: Seongsu-dong, Seongdong-gu, Seoul
OTA-ready stop
Built into inbound routes and day-tour planning.
Local context
서울특별시 성동구 성수동
Travel fit
Attraction · Seoul









