Destination briefing
Why travelers stop here
Taereung is the tomb of Queen Munjeong of the Yun clan (1501–1565), the third queen of King Jungjong (r. 1506–1544), the 11th monarch of Joseon. When Queen Munjeong passed away in 1565 (the 20th year of King Myeongjong's reign), the tomb site was initially set near King Jungjong's Jeongneung (Sinjeongneung), but due to King Myeongjong's opposition, the current location was chosen for Queen Munjeong's tomb and named Taereung. Originally, Queen Munjeong wished to be buried with her husband King Jungjong, and consulted with Bowoo, the head monk of Bongeunsa Temple at the time, to move King Jungjong's tomb from its location next to Heereung, the tomb of his second queen Queen Janggyeong, to its current site, citing geomantic inauspiciousness. However, the relocated Jeongneung was on low ground and frequently suffered flood damage when it rained, so King Myeongjong decided to place his mother's tomb at its current location. According to the *Annals of King Seonjo*, during the Japanese invasions of 1592 (the 25th year of King Seonjo's reign), Japanese forces attempted to loot Taereung and Gangneung, as well as Seolleung and Jeongneung, but failed.
Taereung was constructed according to the rites of the *Gukjo Oryeui* (National Five Rites), with the burial mound surrounded by stone screens and railings. The stone screens are carved with cloud patterns and the Twelve Zodiacal Deities, and the Twelve Earthly Branches are inscribed in characters. Originally, inscribing the Twelve Earthly Branches in characters was only applied when stone screens were omitted and only railings were installed, but starting with Taereung, it changed to carving both the Twelve Zodiacal Deities and the characters together. The stone figures, including civil and military officials, and the longmyeongdeung (stone lantern), are larger than those at other Joseon royal tombs, reflecting the style of the mid-Joseon period. Notably, the civil and military official figures have earring holes in their earlobes. The pavilion (jeongjagak) below the burial mound was destroyed during the Korean War and restored in 1994.
OTA-ready stop
Built into inbound routes and day-tour planning.
Local context
서울특별시 노원구 화랑로 681
Travel fit
Attraction · Seoul








