← All attractions
Gangwon-doAttraction

Chuncheon Hyanggyo

강원특별자치도 춘천시 삭주로 21 (교동)

Destination briefing

Why travelers stop here

Hyanggyo were educational institutions established by the state to enshrine and pay homage to great Confucian scholars, and to provide Confucian education and moral edification to local residents. The exact year of its initial construction is unknown, but it was rebuilt in 1594 (the 27th year of King Seonjo's reign) after being burned down during the Japanese invasions of Korea (Imjin Waeran). It underwent several repairs thereafter, and after being destroyed again during the Korean War, it was restored in 1960. The remaining buildings include Daeseongjeon (main shrine), Myeongnyundang (lecture hall), Jangsu-ru (pavilion), Dongjae (east dormitory), Seojae (west dormitory), Dongmu (east shrine), Seomu (west shrine), and Naesammun (inner triple gate). Daeseongjeon is a shrine that houses the spirit tablets of Confucius and other Confucian scholars from China and Korea. Myeongnyundang served as a lecture hall where students gathered to study and was also a source of moral edification. During the Joseon Dynasty, it was operated with land, books, and slaves granted by the state. After the Gabo Reform of 1894, its educational functions ceased, and now only the ritual functions remain. It holds valuable books for local historical research, such as 'Suchunhyangyak', 'Hyangjungjwamok', and 'Hyangan'.

OTA-ready stop

Built into inbound routes and day-tour planning.

Local context

강원특별자치도 춘천시 삭주로 21 (교동)

Travel fit

Attraction · Gangwon-do

Nearby

Attractions & restaurants

Within 3 km · Korea Tourism Organization data

Holiday Korea

Holiday Tour Travel Concierge

Holi

안녕하세요! Holiday Tour 여행 도우미 Holi야. 상품 문의, 예약 확인, 맞춤 여행까지 언제든 물어봐.